Friday, June 29, 2012

High Praise for First Born Sister and Chilie Rellano Bake!



So many times, I listen to someone praise or deride something for years, and it’s not until I’ve tried it myself that I really believe that person.  Why is that?  I don’t know.  I remember being little and my mother bending over me with pointed finger asking, “Kelli, why can’t you just learn from others’ experience?” 

I still can’t answer that question, but I can say that First Born Sister is right!  That Chilie Rellano Bake she’s been talking about for years is great!  At a little over 6 net carbs per serving, it’s a great low carb dish that’s both filling and super tasty.

I was worried that this dish would just taste like another egg-based low carb dish; however, it had a firm but creamy texture and a clear green chilie flavor.

Now, First Born Sister makes this with ground meat, but I went the chicken route just because I’ve become fully New Mexican and believe that chicken pairs best with green chilie.  Sorry Sister, I have been assimilated.  This dish is a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey.

I began by throwing about four large frozen chicken breasts into boiling water.  Meanwhile, I gathered the rest of the ingredients:  some chopped onion, eggs, sour cream, ricotta (First Born Sister uses cottage cheese—I’ve tried, but I just can’t like the stuff), half of the garlic salt, green chilies (my apologies to the Great State of New Mexico—I used canned; they were Hatch brand though), and cheese.  I skipped the flour called for—quite honestly I forgot it, but loved the way it turned out, so I’ll not even worry about it from  here on out. 

Once the chicken was cooked, I shredded it using two forks, and mixed in the other half of the garlic salt.  Feel free to add other spices at this point if you want.

I then poured half of the egg mixture on the bottom of my lightly greased casserole dish.  I topped it with the chicken, onions, and a whole big can of coarsely chopped green chilies—about 2 ½ cups.   Then I poured the rest of the egg mixture over the top.

As instructed by First Born Sister, I covered it and popped it in the oven for 30 minutes, enough time to clean up the dishes and read a few more pages of A Canticle for Leibowitz.  After that I uncovered it, sprinkled it with some cheese (Q: What’s better than cheese?  A: More cheese!), and put it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.  Once the cheese is melted and it’s set (shake it to see if it jiggles), it’s done. 

Take it out and let it rest for about 10 minutes. 

We had this with jalapeño poppers and fresh cucumbers.  Sweetie and I were singing high praises to First Born Sister for the rest of the night!

If you’re game trying this, here are two versions of the recipe: First Born Sister’s and the version I made last night.  I don’t doubt that both are good, and I know, as I have known for some time, that First Born Sister is right!

First Born Sister’s Chilie Relleno Bake

1 lb. Ground meat
1/2 onion
1/4 tsp. Garlic salt
1 large can Hatch green chilies (cut up)
1/4 cup soy flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup each:  cottage cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese

Brown meat add onions; drain off fat.  Add salt and pepper along with other spices to taste. Spray pan, layer meat, chilies, then cheese mixture. Mix flour, eggs and pour over pan.  Cook at 350* for 30 min. covered and then uncovered for 10-15 min or until browned.  Makes 6 servings.


Homage to First Born Sister Chilie Relleno Bake

4 large chicken breasts, or equivlant of cooked chicken or turkey
1/2 onion
1 tsp. Garlic salt
1 large can Hatch green chilies (cut up)
4 eggs
1/2 cup each:  ricotta, sour cream, Monterey jack cheese (use the cheese you have on hand)

Cook and shred chicken.  Add salt and pepper along with other spices to taste. Mix together ricotta, sour cream, cheese, and beaten eggs.  Spray pan and pour in ½ of the egg mixture, cover with meat, onions, and chilies. Top with remaining egg mixture.

Cook at 350* for 30 min. covered and then uncovered for 10-15 min or until browned. 
Makes 6 servings.


The nutrition information below is based on the version I made.  If you use soy flour, add about 4 carbs per serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment